Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Speaking of Winter

So it has finally happened. The first rain of the year. The storm that passed through yesterday was a pretty bad one-lots of trees down, some power outages, and flooding. Through all that my guys were out working the line "Pushing Tin" as we say.

Some of the things I should have mentioned in my previous post regarding winter I will address now. Probably one of the major things beside trying to stay dry is trying to keep your tools dry. As you all know we have to supply our own tools (a fact that a lot of people outside of maintenance are surprised to hear). If you are not careful you can come back to work after a rainy weekend and have your tools rusted out. Oil, Oil, and more Oil is how I treat my tools during this rainy season. I'm lucky enough to have my own personal golf cart that I use to go from gate call to gate call and as such have a dedicated-watertight-place for my tools. Most guys are at the mercy of relying on others to keep their stuff dry if they leave it on the shared golf carts.

Speaking of leaving tools out: it surprises me how many of my fellow mechanics leave their tool boxes, bags, etc on the company golf carts when they go home. They seem to trust that no one will mess with their stuff. While I'm sure none of the mechanics here would intentionally mess with another mechanics tools there is always the possibility that something can happen. Also it seems kind of selfish to me to leave your junk on a cart that is shared by many people. Not only do we have to work around your tools but if something were to happen the blame would rest squarly on our shoulders. Also istead of putting yout tools away in the tool room they are left out in the weather. One guy even have a black truck box on the back of his cart (we all do). His had a hole in the top and would fill with water when it rained. I was horrified to see once that there was about 5-6 inches of water in the box and at the bottom of the box was a set of Snap-On wrenches! Crazy!

Any way put your stuff away and keep em dry and lubed up in this rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment